Using Your Tenafly Fireplace Properly
How To Properly Use Your Fireplace
Fireplaces are perfect for staying warm and cozy during the colder months. To keep the air in your home clean and lower the fire risk, you should know how to operate them safely and understand the risks. The last thing you want to do is deal with a fire-damaged home from an ill-kept or faulty fireplace.
Ensuring your Tenafly chimney is kept clean is important, as a buildup of creosote is a fire hazard. Damage to a chimney or fireplace can also cause a house fire and fire damage in Tenafly. To keep your fireplace maintained, have it annually inspected and cleaned once every two years or more. Also, do not burn a fire more than a few hours at a time and burn only hardwood that is well-seasoned.
SERVPRO has professionally trained fire remediation specialists. You should have our number on hand in case you do experience a fire in your home from your fireplace. We can clean and repair your home promptly.
When you improperly burn wood, it produces dangerous emissions like organic gas, carbon monoxide, and heavy smoke avoids this by not burning softwoods, wet wood, or newly cut wood. Do not burn wood which has been treated, painted, or made with glue, and do not burn papers which contain dyes or bleaches. Particles in these can clog the air passages in a fireplace and make noxious, carcinogenic, or corrosive gasses.
Watch for a chimney draft which is weak in the fall. The temperature difference between the outdoor air and chimney smoke can create many problems like a faulty chimney, cracks, and smoke which does not rise as fast as it should, causing too much smoke in the house. Another danger is back-puffing. A chimney that is obstructed causes your home to be backed up with smoke. Creosote buildup or soot can create a blockage, as can acts of nature, such as bird’s nests.
Even if a small fire has occurred from a malfunctioning fireplace in your home, SERVPRO can take care of the repair and cleanup for you. It's essential that you notify us as quickly as you can after the fire, soot and smoke continue to do damage to your home until we clean it up. We salvage any of your possessions that we can and ensure the affected area is sanitized when the cleanup is done.
Contact us at SERVPRO of Teaneck / Englewood quickly after a fire in your home. We just need to hear from you at (201) 266-0482, and we take care of the rest, so you do not have to.
Tenafly, New Jersey is a great city to visit. To learn more click here.