If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (201) 266-0482

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Causes of Fire Damage in Tenafly Properties

6/24/2016 (Permalink)

Electrical Fires Like This One Can Be Prevented

SERVPRO Takes Fire Damage Seriously

In many homes, people often take shortcuts to help them improve how their home feels and looks. While these shortcuts may increase functionality to a small degree, they can sometimes backfire by creating fire hazards. Many fires also start out in a very localized area but quickly spread. Eliminating these causes is something that you can do as a fire prevention measure.

Homes and businesses in Tenafly that suffer from fire damage can be quickly repaired by dedicated and highly trained technicians from SERVPRO. We have IICRC training and certification. This is nationally recognized and provides the training needed to respond to any size disaster, large or small. If your home or real estate property is damaged by fire, you can trust us to make it like it never even happened.

Preventable Electrical Fires can Cause Fire Damage

Most electrical fires are preventable. Replacing frayed, cut, or otherwise damaged cords on appliances is one way to do this. Replacing the item can also be one way, although more expensive in most situations, to prevent the risk of fire from becoming a reality.

While placing an extension cord under a thick rug to protect it from damage may seem like a good idea, it can create a way for the cord to overheat. Cords can also be damaged if a wheeled chair or another item is rolled over the rug. This can create a direct contact with electricity and the floor or rug itself. A common result is a fire. Extension cords are not designed to be used long-term, or for heavy appliances like refrigerators or electric stoves. Television sets and computers should only be plugged into the wall outlet directly for long term use.
 
Lighting Your Home Shouldn't be a Fire Hazard

Keeping your home well-lit can keep most accidents to a minimum, simply because if you can see well, you are more aware of your surroundings. A possible source of fires in the home can develop when colored fabric pieces or scarves are used to tint the light from a given lamp. Light bulbs can become extremely hot very quickly, and this heat can ignite many fabrics, which then can spread rapidly throughout a room.

Oils placed in rings to scent a room should be only used when you will always be in the same room. Oil is very flammable and should be used only with great care. These should never be used in a child's room. Children are curious and can quickly start a fire if they play with the ring and the oil.

The watts on the light bulb are also necessary to take into consideration when buying bulbs for lamps and light fixtures. Using one that is much stronger than what is recommended for a fixture can quickly lead to fire damage.

Fire Damage Prevention and Your Space Heater

Space heaters that are used in the home need to be placed safe distances away from everything. These can quickly become so hot that anything that contacts the heater's coils, or another type of heating element can ignite. If children are allowed to play in an area where there is a space heater, supervision must be vigilant to ensure that no papers or crayons, small toys, clothing such as laces or ties end up near the heating element.

Pets can also create a higher risk of fire when space heaters are used. Pets may knock a space heater over, causing a fire if the unit is older or the auto-shut-off component fails. Older pets may also try to snuggle close to the heater, creating a physical risk to themselves, as well.
 
Fires Create Damage that Requires Skilled Clean-Up and Repairs

If you've had a small fire in your home, we want you to know we can help you with repairs and cleaning up the aftermath. Another way we assist those who have had fire damage is to provide inventory assistance so that your insurance carrier will approve your claim for damages more quickly.

IICRC Training Prepares Us for Both Large and Small Fire Damage Repairs of All Types

Fire damage may seem insurmountable but when you use a professional company who has experienced technicians on call 24/7 to provide expert services when you need us, that fire damage will soon be a distant memory. Calling SERVPRO of Teaneck and Englewood at (201) 266-0482 will make sure that your fire-damaged home and furnishings are cleaned, refurbished, and made like-new again.

Other News

View Recent Posts